Thursday, January 16, 2014

GREAT PERFORMANCES | Peter & the Wolf | Making of Peter


I stumbled upon this short a few years ago, and I thought I'd share it with you. I think this animation has a lot of beautiful shots and the character puppets are aesthetically pleasing too. The number one "faux pas" in stop motion puppet design, is making them look too creepy. Witch is hard to do since dolls and puppets in general are  creepy and bringing them to life (or in motion) adds to the creepy factor. One mistake I often see in stop motion is mouth and eye animation. If you can't master mouth mouvement, don't do it. And I think that this animation does it very well with the few facial expressions it has in the film. Even though there are few different facial expressions, you can still feel the emotions in each of the characters. There are numerous ways to portray emotion in film making. One way they did this, is through the soundtrack. As if the music did most of the talking. The overall puppet animation is ok but I think the wolf is the one that's animated the best here. And I love the little crow that can't fly and the hilarious fat cat! Oh and poor duck! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment